Be the Change Group is looking for a skilled, passionate individual with a drive to improve the world by making positive community change through design.
A bit about us and our clients
Be the Change Group was founded because we saw the need to bring public and population health experts, researchers, and creative minds together under one roof to solve complex problems. In 2012, we began building a team of young, public health professionals, researchers, and cutting-edge creatives who wanted to improve the health and health equity of our communities.
We have the following three interdisciplinary teams that work together under one roof: Research and Community Engagement, Design and Development, and Strategy and Communications. We are a core team of eight staff members (nine with you!) and more than 20 consultants and advisors. Diverse in our skills and roles, our team consists of project managers, population and public health consultants, researchers, clinicians, communications and community engagement specialists, designers, web developers, animators, photographers, filmmakers, content strategists, copywriters, and copyeditors. This allows us to customize our teams to meet the requirements of each project that we take on.
Our clients are thought leaders and innovators who advocate, educate, and create better todays and tomorrows for the communities they serve. We focus on three sectors: health, education, and climate. A few notable clients include Islands Trust, GreenCare, the United Nations Climate Change Secretariat (UNFCCC), Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics (Jhpiego), Interior Health, Vancouver Coastal Health, the Provincial Health Services Authority, the BC Emergency Medicine Network, and the Gulf States Health Policy Center.
A bit about our culture
One of the things that unites us is our love of adhocracy, or corporate culture based on the ability to adapt quickly to changing conditions. Being a young company means that we are all very hands on and each voice is valued, practices that we aim to keep as our team grows. Corporate hierarchical structure doesn’t work well for us, as we know our success as a company comes from the success of each team member. Showing your own unique skills and interests in the work you do helps our team become the best that we can be.
We are here to make positive change happen, together. Are you?
We are an equal opportunity employer that takes diversity and inclusion seriously. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (non-exhaustive list): ethnicity, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Our office is located in a bright industrial loft space in Strathcona. Be the Change Group’s core team shares the mezzanine office spaces with two local, well-known photographers. The main floor is occasionally used as a rented photography studio. We love our mixed-use space that overlooks the port and the North Shore mountain ranges through big, beautiful windows. We are taking great care to keep our office as safe as possible during COVID-19, and we follow all provincial guidelines and regulations, including in the use of the photography studio.
As an intermediate communications designer you will have opportunities to collaborate with other designers, developers, animators, our research team, and our communications team. This full time position is best suited for someone familiar with design standards and best practices, who can ideate and solve problems, and who can work independently or collaboratively depending on project needs.
Here’s what we’re looking for in an ideal candidate:
- Drive and motivation, with a love of problem solving
- Ability to be a team player who wants to work together to create positive change
- Ability to be client-centered and flexible with ideas
- Fantastic time and project management skills, with the ability to meet strict deadlines and work quickly when needed
- Highly creative, strategic thinking with the ability to develop fresh, executable ideas
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively in a small work environment across departments
- Ability to accept and integrate constructive feedback from clients and colleagues
- Critical thinking skills along with a good sense of humour
- An eye for detail, and one for design, typography, and composition
Your experience includes:
- 3 – 5 years of industry experience (preferably with some agency-setting experience)
- A strong command of Adobe products (specifically InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop)
- A strong command of rapid prototyping software (Sketch preferably)
- A combination of digital and print design
- Experience working with web development teams, specifically hand-offs, sprints, and QA
- Bonus: An understanding of UX design methods and tools
Please apply via email, connect(at)bethechangegroup.com
Attach (or link) the following documents to your application:
- Your portfolio (including a summary of your role on each portfolio piece and at least two examples of web design)
- Your CV
- A cover letter that includes:
- Why you applied and/or want to join the Be the Change Group team Your desired salary
- The preferred amount of hours you would like to work weekly
- Your ideal starting date
We will contact shortlisted candidates by December 15, 2020.
Thank you; we look forward to hearing from you!
The Be the Change Group team